Monday, January 6, 2014

Wedding Talk: Last Names


Jose and I can pretty much agree on anything when it comes to planning our wedding; theme, location, decor, food, etc. But when it comes to our last names that's another story. He wants to take my last name, Dyson. I want to take his last name, Batista. He likes my last name, I like his. I don't like my last name and he doesn't like his. I want to be traditional, he was wants to be different. See the problem? Personally, I want to be traditional and take his last name. 
I researched if it's legal to do so and in six states, including New York, it is. But in states like California, it's not according to the law. In California, they don't consider it a wedding thing and it won't be on your license. They consider a name a change and in order to change your name, you need to go to court and pay $300. Unlike the woman, where she pays a small fee of $50, it's on the wedding license, and you're all set. 

I understand in today's day and age it's considered gender discrimination. Why can't the man take the woman's last name? Why does it have to be the other way around? We don't question the name changing thing, we just do it. It's automatic; we take our husband's last name. But the reason why we do it automatically is because back in the olden days, women were seen as property, hence why women took the man's last name. 

Today's totally different and I get it. But like most women, I like tradition. I want a change, a different last name. I'm tired of my name and I don't like my name, Courtney Dyson. It's blah and masculine. I mean, there's a reason why we say "Mr & Mrs. so & so". Mrs. & Mr. so & so doesn't go, doesn't roll of the tongue. 

Well, we'll see what happens in 2016 when I get married. 

xx Courtney

8 comments:

  1. or you can both have both names, would that not be ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very interesting. I never thought of him taking my name... I was like you, ready to change mine! :) You could always hyphenate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have friends who hyphenated both names like Dyson-Batista maybe. I love that things have changed so much that this is even a topic of conversation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on this one- I like the tradition of taking the guy's last name. But I mean, marriage is about compromise so maybe you guys can have both?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for tradition, but I like the idea of hyphenating. Plus, if you've already established a work profile under Courtney Dyson, you'll be able to keep it if you hyphenate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting! I love that he wants to take your last night, how progressive of him lol, whatever you two decide, I'm sure it will be right for you!
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could hyphenate. Dyson-Batista, or Batista-Dyson both sound great.
    Another option is to combine. Dytista, Bayson, Batiston, Dysta, so many options! Play with them a little, and you might find something you like.
    -Nicole
    Mercantile519

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that he wants your last name, that is super sweet! I second everyone else maybe a hyphenate?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...